MASTER is a programme offered by Foundation for Polish Science.
The objective of the programme is to support distinguished scholars by awarding them grants designed either to intensify the research they are already conducting or to explore new fields of research.
The programme is addressed to advanced researchers whose attainments so far provide assurance of proper use of the funding, and who are able to effectively combine research with training of younger staff.
The primary objective of the research is to define a framework for intelligent design of three-dimensional spatial arrangements using shape grammars. Thus the solution will not be based on any of the existing approaches and will not inherently have the properties of the 2D solutions. The software developed during the project, which architecture will be based on the framework, will automatically generate the solutions that optimize requirements while satisfying constraints. To accomplish the project, a formal model for a 3D design space and knowledge representation have to be elaborated. Because of the computational complexity of the problem, computational intelligence methods have to be incorporated in the framework to support the ability of learning valid solutions and generating them according to the acquired knowledge. In particular the goals can be exemplified as follows:
- Creation of new system level approaches to 3D placement based on shape grammars and its implementation
- Creation and testing of new EDA tools for 3D placement under constraints
- Investigations of possible system level solutions for 3D placement of subcircuits and sub-systems created using heterogeneous technologies
- Implementation and testing of the optimization capabilities
- Investigations of new concepts for 3D integrated circuits without external power supply containing functional part of the circuits, energy storage part, energy harvesting part and on-chip battery.
Project leader: Prof. Maciej Ogorzałek
Project title: New computational approaches for solving next generation microelectronic design problems
Project value: 300 000 PLN
Project duration: 36 months
Project start: 1 January 2013
Project ends: 31 December 2013